My photo
Nashville, TN, United States

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sick Baby

On Tuesday night we were going up to bed and Jack woke up crying and sounding so stopped up we weren't sure he could get any oxygen. Things continued to get worse and the next day we took him to the pediatrician where he had a fever of 100.5 degrees. Since he was 6 weeks old they sent us to Vanderbilt Children Hospital's Emergency room for some tests to be run. Let me say that this was one of the scariest, most traumatic day of my life. They had to get a urine sample, which meant a catheter, as well as some blood samples, which meant an IV in each arm because they had a hard time getting a good sample, some x-rays, and lots of rectal temperature checks. Which for each of these things meant lots of horrible crying from both Jack and from me! Everything came back fine (meaning no meningitis, RSV, bladder or kidney infection) so they decided it was just a virus causing a cold. I mean, the tests were way more upsetting then the illness! He's now doing a little better but we've had to have several visits to the doctor's office for them to conduct follow-up check-ups on him. Oh, and now Jim and I are sick, too! I guess we're just one big germ-y family!

No comments: